What you need to know about Washington State Sales Use Tax

Have you received a sales or use tax letter from the Department of Revenue or a vendor you did business with in the mail? You received this letter because you did not pay sales tax on an item you or your business purchased (most likely online).

By law, if you were not originally charged sales tax on a purchase that was delivered to your Washington address, the selling company is required to send you a notice that sales tax is due on the item; they are also required to report the sale to the Department of Revenue. When you pay the sales tax yourself, it is called use tax.

You can pay the use tax by filing a Consumer Use Tax Return with the Department of Revenue. To file the return, you can create a Washington State Department of Revenue online account and file electronically, or you can download the paper return to file by mail. Both of these options can be accessed at https://dor.wa.gov/

If you would prefer to have Kavadias Hall prepare your Sales & Use Return, please contact Courtney Poulin at our office and she would be happy to assist. Her direct line is 509-321-0265 Ext 7, and her email is office@kavcocpa.com.